Zen of the Mystical Traveler
Join John Morton to travel back in time through Japan, from the contemporary capital of Tokyo, down the Nakasendo Road, to the traditional and spiritual heart of Japan, Kyoto. This Legacy Tour will benefit the JR Legacy fund.
Tokyo is vibrant, dynamic, exciting and cosmopolitan. We will visit museums and galleries, explore career-defining architecture, sample fine cuisine in addition to celebrating John-Roger’s birthday, We then travel back through Japan’s history, heading to the Nakasendo Road; the well-traveled route taken by daimyo between their provinces and the capital of Edo (Tokyo). We’ll visit the original castle in Matsumoto and explore the kura district before heading to our luxury ryokan for onsen baths and a multi-course Kaiseki meal. The next day takes us to Narai, one of the post towns along the original Nakasendo Road to explore this historic reconstruction of one of the critical links in the economic and political life of pre-Edo Japan. We end this travel day in Kyoto at our five-star hotel.
The true master realizes the opportunity of oneness with God in every experience, in every human being, and in every event. -John-Roger
Kyoto, with its wide-range of arts, crafts, traditions, gardens and history will fill the remainder of our trip with its delights. We’ll learn firsthand the importance the Japanese put on the concept of mastery and meet some of the masters, or sensei, who carry forward Japan’s rich artistic heritage. With special sharing and events all along the way, this will be a journey of the heart to remember.
- Learn about the aesthetic of Japanese arts and fine crafts, from traditional to contemporary
- Share thought-provoking introductions to Buddhism and Shintoism, through private meetings with priests and monks in their temples or shrines
- Enter the studios of revered artists and craftsmen, the sensei who carry forward Japan’s rich artistic heritage
- Meet masters of tea ceremony, calligraphy, textiles and more
- Enjoy uniquely Japanese music, dance and theatrical performances
- Visit selected galleries and museums
- Tour one of Japan’s authentic castles
- Spend time in exquisitely maintained gardens
- Stroll through typical neighborhoods in Tokyo and Kyoto
- Visit a restored post-town on the Nakasendo Road
- Ride on Japan’s famous Shinkansen bullet train
- Sample a variety of local, seasonal cuisine
- Share special moments with John Morton
To register please write to firstname.lastname@example.org.